Friday, October 26, 2007

So I get to write about something other than writing for a change! ^_^

Last night, my good friend Dan and I went to see Polysics here at the Fillmore Theater in Detroit. For those of you who don’t know Polysics, they’re essentially known as a Japanese Devo. They’re a four-piece Japanese band with a sort of surf/techno rock to them. Very quirky, very wild, but very good!

It was, unfortunately, a very short set, with Polysics having to share the stage with three other bands that, in my own humble opinion, weren’t that good. So much so, Dan and I shrugged off the second band, and then left the show two songs into the third band ^^; Polysics were tagged as the opening act, even though they probably should be headlining. But, they didn’t disappoint, even if they only played for about 30-35 minutes.


Their onstage presence was amazing. They channeled so much enthusiasm, so much energy, and so much power into their performance, it made me forget all sense of inhibition. I was jumping up and down, singing along, headbanging, and all the while not worrying that, as a 34-year-old grandpa lost amidst the gaggle of 19 year olds around me, I probably looked silly ^^; Hiro, the lead singer/guitarist, was his usual madman self, thrashing about the stage, screaming out to the audience, jumping up and down, and working magic on his guitar. No one seems to enjoy the music he plays as much as he does. Fumi, the bassist, was her usual rocking self. In fact, I consider her my sensei ^^, because I base my own bass playing style off her. Her fretwork is blinding, and her bass notes are deep and crunchy. Oh, and she’s cute as hell ^^;. So much so, I had to yell out, “Fumi-chan! I love you!” just cos I was being a total doofus at that point, and because, well, Fumi is on my List ^^;. Kayo, the keyboardist/singer, was her usual quirky self. She’s the serious one, the one who maintains a perfectly stoic demeanor throughout the performance, even when she’s jumping up and down waving pom poms or making funny little hand motions to the audience. She’s the perfect contrast and complement to Hiro’s antics.


Polysics is the reason why I wanted to play live. I was reminded of this yesterday, because the first time I saw them was in September of 2004. I remember the day well. Why? Because the day of the show was the day after I completed the first draft of Solstice! How’s that for crazy cosmic coincidences? I only found out about the show the day of, but when I did, I figured it was the perfect way to celebrate the completion of the first draft. And that show went down in my memory as the best show I’d ever seen, ever. It was a show that made me feel like a teenager again. And it was the show that really made me want to renew my pursuit of music, and renew my goal of playing in a band.


I’m grateful that it did happen, and that I did play in a band this year. More so because, believe it or not, our first gig was in that same bar where Dan and I first saw Polysics! I guess it was meant to happen. I couldn’t have scripted it better. It was an amazing experience to know that I was standing on the same stage where Polysics had been. I even went over to the spot where Fumi had stood and touched it. For good luck ^__^;


Wow, I’m babbling again… Anyway, after last night’s show, I guess I want to re-renew my musical pursuits again. My friend Brian is going to loan me some recording gear tonight, so hopefully I can start recording these songs that I’ve written. And while I don’t expect to follow the trend and one day play on the stage of the Fillmore, I do hope to hit the stage again some day, and play with the same passion and energy that Polysics plays with. They are, after all, my musical inspiration ^_^


Oh, *ahem* Solstice is now available wherever books are sold. Or you can order direct from Tragical Mirth Publishing and get an autographed copy ^^;;


P.S.: Tsubashi-san?! Four times????!!! Sugoi!!
P.S.S.: Razorsmile, I passed that message on to the artist! And you're right, I probably didn't! ^^;

No comments: