Thursday, January 17, 2008

What would it be like?

Hello all, and welcome to another installment of Ulises Babbles On and On ^_^;

So what’s been going on? A few things. I already started editing Inventing Vazquez, and am very excited about where it’s going. I don’t know how long it will take me to edit all 850 pages of it @_@, but I’m hoping I can move quickly and get to a second draft by April. I think that’s feasible.

Part of my urgency now is because I’ve begun to think that I will try and find an agent for Inventing Vazquez. After hearing some disturbing news about small-press distributors, I’ve started to weigh all my options. Self-publishing fiction is always a risk; that goes without saying. But when you throw in something as uncertain as the future of small-press distribution into the mix, it increases that risk. And there’s no denying that Solstice wouldn’t have had its success without the support of Biblio Distribution. They’re the ones who got it into bookstores, after all.

Besides, when I start to think of all that we’ve achieved with Solstice, I sometimes wonder what I could have achieved with the support of an agent, a publisher, and a real marketing budget. Consider the numbers. I wrote, printed, distributed, marketed, and promoted Solstice with an impossibly small budget (roughly $6000 less than the standard budget for self-publishing a book). I had to learn and do a lot of things myself (like typesetting, graphic design, and accounting) in order to save costs. Yet despite it all, we’ve sold more than 1,400 copies in less than four months. That’s about 50% of our total print run thus far. We’ve gotten five reviews (and a possible sixth one coming soon on horrorwatch.com), including in premier publications like Library Journal, and all of them have been positive. We’ve turned a profit, and according to the industry numbers, 95% of self-published books fail to do so. Even with a microscopic budget and a lot of improvisation, Solstice bucked the odds and became a small-time hit in its own right (well, it’s a hit in my own mind, but that’s probably because my only real goal was giving it to my family, not making money).

When I consider what I achieved with Solstice, I wonder what I could have achieved if I’d had a real budget to work with. If, say, I had some money to actually buy some promotional space (I’ve targeted some web sites for advertising, but right now I simply don’t have the cash), or the contacts to spread the word, who knows what Solstice could have become. Given the success it had on such a small scale, I wonder what it would have done on a larger scale.

I think this is one of the reasons why I’m considering going with an agent for Inventing Vazquez, or at least try to (you’ve heard the horror stories about finding an agent, I’m sure). I’m nervous about the distribution aspect, for sure. But I’m confident the new novel is better, and will have a much broader appeal for readers (my two test readers are already saying so, and that the book is really funny), and so I think there’s a chance it can perform well in the literary marketplace. So maybe it’s in my best interest to at least try and land a reputable agent, and see how things work.

Of course, how do you market a doofus that writes an apocalyptic novel about the end of the world, and then a comedic satire about a mousy film consultant? ^_^; Oh well…

I’m not adverse, though, to self-publishing Inventing Vazquez too. The fact is, I love the creative control that comes with self-publishing (in fact, we already have a crazy idea for a catchy book cover). I think that’s the single-best aspect of self-publishing; you call your own shots. As long as you’re willing to take the risks, temper your expectations, and do a LOT of work, I think self-publishing is an amazing challenge, and an even better experience.

Speaking of happy novels about the end of the world, my girlfriend and I were doing some brainstorming about The Mourning Syndrome on Sunday, and once we were done, I felt completely energized and excited about writing the novel. I think I was stalling because I was trying to be too clever, and maybe outsmarting myself in the process (not a hard thing to do -_-). But once I simplified things (e.g., a single narration instead of two narrations from different characters), and once we talked about the other main character, things started to open up. I now have a very solid and promising direction for the book, and some chilling possibilities for the main character’s initial antagonist. So I’m going to try and keep working on The Mourning Syndrome alongside Inventing Vazquez’ editing. We’ll see how that works.

Oh, and because I need more to do with my life, I’m trying to get a band together ^__^; Not an easy thing to form an indie rock band with Japanese rock influence here in Michigan, let me tell ya…

No comments: