Sunday, August 5, 2007

Really, not much has happened

I'm a bad blogger, I know. But really, nothing much has happened in the past almost-month. Really. So what if *whispering* the books got in and I have a bunch of them in my basement as I await the long-awaited launch date for Solstice. So what if *muttering* I updated my web site and started promoting it across a bunch of forums and web sites and begging everyone I know to visit it and pass along the URL. So what if *muttering* I'm playing in my great friend Brian's band, Big B and the Magic Bullets, and we're playing at an upcoming Blues band competition ^^; So what if *muttering* I e-mailed none other than Lisa Alvarado, a great and prolific Latina writer, who has graciously offered to review Solstice? And really, who cares if *muttering* I started up an art page with deviantart, because I figured it was time I started promoting some of Solstice's characters among people who might actually appreciate their origins? ^_^ And, oh, who cares if *muttering* I'm almost at page 150 of my new novel? ^^;;

So really, as you can see, nothing much has happened.

Ugh...

In any event, the date is fast approaching when Solstice will become available, and things are moving along. While it's proving harder than I thought actually spreading the word of mouth, I'm still hopeful that, eventually, it will get out. I already have three people lined up to review the book, and I mailed out close to 30 review packets on the day after the books arrived. And the new trailers I posted on my web site and YouTube will, I hope, at some point start making the rounds. Just have to be persistent.

And within the next week or so, I'm going to start *gulp* contacting my local bookstores to *gulp* inquire about doing book signings. That should be a fun, if terrifying, experience. But it's a big thing. And who knows, maybe then, it'll actually finally hit me that I have a book out. Because, frankly, it still hasn't hit me. When I got the books (after waiting around all day for the carrier to show up...without a forklift! Thank goodness for my girlfriend and some great neighbors, who helped us take all 74 boxes into the house! ^^), I reacted as if I'd gotten a set of guitar strings or something in the mail. The next day at work, my friend Leda (who actually designed the book's cover, and her husband did the painting) asked if I was excited. When I responded in a strangely nonchalant manner, she said, "DUDE! You gotta show some excitement! Cmon!!" ^^; I guess I've been so tied up with the logistics of all this, I haven't found the time to get excited. Oh well. Some day soon, maybe.

For now, I'll keep at this promotion thing. Because it's true what they say about publishing a book; the real work begins AFTER you get the books printed and delivered! Now you have to actually tell people you HAVE them...and that's not as easy as it might seem ^^;;


1 comment:

Tsubashi said...

Oh, I see. Of course nothing happened. Of course no one cares...

I guess that would make me no one, ne? ^-^

It's so exciting to see (or hear about, rather ^.^) all of your hard work pay off as the whole process starts coming together. Soon enough, your book will be out and suppliers won't be able to keep it shelved, ne?
Okay maybe it won't sell that fast, but that is only because the general masses won't know what there missing.

You should be exited too! You have done so much for all of this, now here comes the payoff!

Anyways, keep up the good work. And remember, only 41 days left!
-Tsubashi