Thursday, May 24, 2007

The novel’s first big break!

Something funny happened yesterday on my way to my e-mail inbox. I got a response from someone I didn’t at all expect one from! And the result is a big break for Solstice.

A few weeks ago, my friends James and Dan took me to see
Acid Mothers Temple at the Magic Stick here in good ol’ Detroit. It was at this show that I first heard their song, “Pink Lady Lemonade.” As I listened to it, I thought to myself, “This song would be PERFECT for the Solstice book trailer soundtrack!” (Yes, I’m developing a book trailer for Solstice, to be released in July.) So, after the show, I asked my friends what they’d think about me asking the band for permission to use their song for the trailer. They told me to give it a shot, that I had nothing to lose. So I did. I left Acid Mothers Temple a message on their web site’s message board (the only way I could find to get a message to them), asking for permission to use “Pink Lady Lemonade.”

So after pretty much assuming that 1) they wouldn’t respond, and 2) even if they did, they’d say no, it was a major shock when I saw an e-mail in my inbox yesterday from none other than Kawabata Makoto, the band’s awesome guitarist.


In a simple message, he said that it was okay for me to use the song for the book trailer, and that I should send him a link to the video once it was completed.


My first instinct was to e-mail my friends James and Dan with the subject line, “HOLY FRICKIN CRAP!” ^^;


I consider this a pretty huge deal. Not only do I now have permission to use a song I think is perfect for the Solstice trailer, but having the support of a band as well-known as Acid Mothers Temple certainly lends the project a new level of legitimacy. At least, that’s how I feel.


Everything else seems to be moving along well too. The novel’s bound galleys are complete, and I’ll be shipping them off to prepublication reviewers tomorrow morning. I’ve already printed out the necessary marketing collateral (e.g., fliers, postcards), and am a week away from sending the files to the printer to begin the official printing of the final product.


I’m really excited about my other project too. Even though I’m juggling everything else, I’m still trying to find time to work on my next novel. This last weekend, after returning to my main place of inspiration—the local coffeehouse—I churned out almost two chapters, just like that. Needless to say, I’m going to start hitting the coffeehouses again. Considering 70% of Solstice was written in a bunch of coffeehouses, I’d say it’s fairly conclusive that those are my best places to write ^__^


Okay, gonna shut up now. I talk too much. ^^; But check back soon, because the moment I start working on the trailer in earnest, you know I’ll be here, blabbing on and on about how it’s going!

No comments: